Utah student’s homemade rocket fuel explodes in dorm room

PROVO, Utah (KTVX) – The explosion at a Utah student’s homemade rocket fuel experiment inside a dorm kitchen left 22 students displaced on Sunday, police said.

The Brigham Young University Police Department said at around 4:30 p.m., a fire alarm went off at Heritage Halls Building 4.

When Provo fire crews arrived, they saw the sprinkler systems fully activated, flooding the main floor.

After investigating, fire crews said a dorm resident was making homemade rocket fuel on the kitchen stove when the mixture suddenly exploded into a ball of fire.

Police dub BYU’s own “Rocket Man”.

The explosion ejected intense flames on the walls and the ceiling around the stove. Fortunately, the firefighters were able to secure the scene and put out the intense fire.

No injuries were reported, but students had to be moved to another floor so school employees could clean up and repair damaged rooms.

“Please keep your experiments in the lab and supervised by trained professionals,” BYU police say.

Police shared photos of the damage on social media, prompting dozens of comments and the following question from a sharp-eyed Facebook user: “But why are there toilets in the living room?”

“Yeah, there’s a story, I’m sure,” police replied.

Others speculated that the explosion could have been linked to the creation of methamphetamine, to which the police replied: “As unusual as it may be, in this case the resident was really mixing rocket fuel .”

The student responsible for the rocket fuel fireball has not been publicly identified.

Comments are closed.